I’m Javier Barnes, a game designer and economist based in Barcelona, with +10 years of experience on the games industry, both as a game designer and as a monetization specialist.
Currently, I work as Senior Product Manager at King (previously Lead Game Designer), the creators of Candy Crush franchise, among other massive franchises. I’m also a regular writer at Deconstructor of Fun.
I’m also the owner of an indie brand called Pixel Noire Games, where a set of visual novel creators develop games with lovecraftian themes, with titles published in PC Steam, Xbox, Playstation 4 and 5, and Nintendo Switch.
Check my Linkedin profile for more info.
Among my portfolio you can find titles such as:
- Candy Crush Saga (from King, where I’ve worked as Lead Game Designer and, currently, as Senior Product Manager)
- Monster Legends (from Social Point, as Lead Game Designer)
- Despicable Me: Minion Rush (from Gameloft Barcelona, as Game Economy Designer)
- Asphalt 8: Airborne (from Gameloft Barcelona, as Game Economy Designer)
- Asphalt Xtreme (from Gameloft Madrid, as Game Economy Designer)
- And several other mobile titles: Iron Man 3: The Official Game, PLAYMOBIL Pirates, Six-Guns, Rival Knights…
Other professional achievements include being Game Monetization Director at Gameloft Montreal (during their transition to the F2P model), and being the monetization/systems specialist of the Asphalt Franchise management team. I’ve also worked as Senior Product Manager at Tilting Point, one of the fastest-growing free-to-play games publishers.
More recently, I hosted the PocketGamer Masterclasses on Game Design (in 2020 and 2021), as well as a GDC talk on F2P game economics. Additionally, I designed the tokenomics of Euler Tools, a blockchain-based company that offers dex tools for BSC.
On top of that,
in 2015 I co-founded RIOT Wrestling, one of the biggest pro wrestling promotions in Spain, which runs all kinds of sport-themed events all over the country for crowds of +1000, as well as +100 incredible workers and associates.